Manuka Honey + Coconut CashewsContinue reading “Manuka Honey + Coconut Cashews”
Written by Alice Bingham
Photographs taken of us by Wylde Folk Studio
So David and I started a “thing” a month ago, we made a decision to make a conscious effort to have a weekly date night. We have three children under four, so heading out to restaurants, bars, movies etc just isn’t quite fitting for us personally at this time. Giving everything that is happening in the world right now with COVID 19, I know so many more of you will be adapting to doing this too.
I had this vision in my mind about setting it up, I didn’t want it to be us sitting on the couch watching Netflix or having a meal at home. Don’t get me wrong, I love doing this with the hubby but I wanted to make it more about connecting David. We have three young children, I have two small businesses I run from home, David works long hours on the ferries and he is studying Finance at university online, our lives are crazy chaos. I did not want this to hold us back, it is important to be to work on my relationship with David. This is my WHY behind making it work, I could see us losing touch of each other and becoming robots in survival mode each day (that does sound a little hard but it is some what true).
We have made Monday night out “date night” however we will have a conversation on a Sunday night and both just map out our diaries to make sure this will work and if not change the night that week. Communicating about it is what builds up the excitement around it. When we both have this put in our schedule like a meeting or a workout or an appointment we can both get excited about it and know it is something we can look forward too. The past few weeks I have enjoyed choosing what we have done however I am going to allow David to plan some to as its always a special surprise for the other.
When I spoke to David about having a date night I was completely honest with him, I want it to not just be about the sex! Of course we are both hoping the end of the night will end this way, but I explained to him I really wanted to get creative try new things together and make it fun. Be silly, have a laugh together, bring some element of surprise into our relationships. He agreed with me that we both need this.
Our first date night I planned and I was super nervous David would be like “WTF are we doing” hahaha, but he surprised me and really enjoyed himself. I put on a guided stretching video on you tube and we did that together, we watched a relationship TED talk and did the ol adult thing (because hey thats connection right?) and to top the night off, I put on a guided meditation to fall asleep to. ALL FREE and all done at home. We had a laugh and a good chat too as we stretched.
The second week, I made raw chocolate because choccie always brings those loving vibes for us. It gets those endorphins going and we both enjoy it. We did another guided stretch, after we sat on the bed talking and just hung out no phones. It was nice. We then watched an episode of Arrow to finish the night off and we actually cuddled on the couch while watching it (haha say what).
I think we are going to have to make damn sure we make this apart of our routine as a non negotiable, it’s all fun and games now, but I am sure we could easily slip and just go arghhh nah lets just do our work when the kids go to sleep or find something else to fill our time with and go back into the way we were. This is so important to us.
So on the day/night this is happening, we have to set the scene as we aren’t leaving the house, it has to be exciting. I make sure I have my “loving” mood essential oils in the diffuser like Ylang Ylang, Ginger, Cassia and Lavender. I always have a nice shower and make myself feel good, just as I would going out (no make up though). To set the mood of date night I always dim the lights, set up a cosy place on the floor for us and already have it planned out so we can both just enjoy it. Again, I think it is so important to pop it in the calendar so we both know it is happening and WILL be happening.
DATE NIGHT IDEAS
I have created a list of things we have done and I want us to do together in the near future and I thought I would share them with you all for inspiration. The obvious is have a meal at home together and watch a flick, this is still a beautiful thing to do but mix it up it will be fun I promise.
- Guided Meditation – whether you want to use an app or just a you tube one, pop it on, set up a comfy space and go for it. Sit next or opposite to each other so its more special. Here is a FREE couple one I love on youtube.
- Guided Stretching – we all hold stress and tension in our body, after a long day its nice to let go of what your body is holding on to from work, being a parent or worries in our lives. We love to do a 10minute one. My hamstrings are always tight so this guide was amazing. 10 Minute Free Stretch.
- Make A Fort – so basically a cubby house for us adults, you can trend it up with cute pillows, throws and some treats on a platter. You can get creative and add some fairy lights. Pre write down 3 convo starters each so get the chit chatter going.
- Watch A Relationship TED Talk together – Learn about your love language together, You never know you both might learn something new to incorporate in your daily lives. HERE you can find all the relationship TED talks to choose from together.
- Pick 2-3 Karma Sutra Positions – Spice up your sex life and pick one of the hundreds of sex positions you have always wanted to try with your partner. It is actually a good laugh trying to get into some haha.
- Learn To Dance – Yes you can get online couple dance tutorials or try some for free on youtube. You could even learn a Tik Tok Dance and have a good laugh while doing so.
- Read The Same Book or Listen To A Podcast Together. You will both have something to discuss together.
- Massage – make up a nice massage oil and give each other a massage. I love using a blend of Coconut Oil and Bergamot, Ylang Ylang and Peppermint Essential Oils.
- Make A Dessert – get creative in the kitchen together making something yummy for you both to enjoy. Put on some music and enjoy each others company.
- Play A Board Game – so I am so not a board game person but I love twister haha.
- Couple Yoga or Breath Work – again there are so many FREE yoga workouts on You Tube.
- Comedy Night – watch a stand up comedy together. Nothing beats a good laugh.
- Write Each Other A Love Letter – sounds simple by we can not always say what we want out loud.
- Take A Shower – Something most couples do when they start a relationship, chat about each others day and unwind.
We have been making these twice a week of late. All my little ones love to eat them, plus I don’t mind a cheeky one for afternoon tea either. It’s so handy to have bite size foods to grab straight from the fridge that are made from wholesome foods with no added nasties!
They are really simple to create and take 5minutes prep time and then 20minutes to bake.The is perfect for your older bub or toddler for breakie, morning tea or an afternoon snack.Here is the recipe! Tag me @aliceinhealthyland if you make them. It melts my heart seeing your little ones eat my recipes!
Bread Pudding Christmas Cake
This recipe was inspired by the taste of my Nanny Pat’s fruit cake and my Dad’s famous Bread Pudding. Both treats I enjoyed on special occasions like Christmas as a child.
- 1 Cup Dates, soaked in ½ Cup Boiling Water
- ¼ Cup Sultanas
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon or 1 Drop Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon of Mix Spice
- ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 Slices Rye Bread, crustless and soaked in ½ Cup Almond Milk (overnight)
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 2 Chia Eggs (to make vegan) or 1 Organic Egg
- 2/3 Cup Spelt Flour
- Squeeze of ½ an Orange
- 2/3 Cup Oats
- ½ Cup Mixed Berries (I used Raspberries, Blueberries and Black Berries)
- 1 Serve 180 Nutrition Coconut Superfood Blend (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Mixed Raw Nuts
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare a round cake tin (20cms round) and line if you pan is non-stick. I used coconut oil to line mine.
- In the high speed blender (I use the Vitamix) mix the soaked rye in the milk, flour, dates, in hot water, maple, essential oil or and spices, egg, vanilla, protein (if using) orange and oil.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Fold through the nuts and remaining fruit.
- Spoon the batter into the baking tin. You will need to bake for 45minute. Turn heat down to 150 degrees and cook for another 20minutes. Check with a fork to see to make sure it is cooked the whole way through.
- Allow the cake to cool a little, then place on cooling rack. Once completely cooled place the cake in an airtight container and store in fridge. Consume within 7 days.
- Decorate on your favourite cake stand, top with extra fruit and serve with your favourite cold dessert. We love Pana Chocolate Ice Cream.
NOTE – You can mix in 2 nips of rum or brandy if you wish for a Christmas treat.
Recipe by @aliceinhealthyland
Images taken by Brisbane photographer @wyldefolkstudio_
From a younger age I have always battled with pigmentation on my forehead and on the top of my lip. Over the years I have tried lots of different treatments to, which have helped to fade it slightly but nothing hugely noticeable, until now. Derma Pen 4 has been a blessing for it. I even noticed a huge change within days are my first treatment with Sandra. I have also loved the improvement on my scar I have in between my eyes. It’s honestly amazing how good this treatment is and how quickly you see results.
I first had Derma Pen 4 just over 4months a go. I have since been having it every 4-6 weeks. Sandra is a qualified beauty therapist with nearly 10 years experience. Earlier this year Sandra completed her Derma Pen 4 training and has since been performing the treatment on a large majority of her clientele.
About the procedure…
Firstly you have a consultation with Sandra, to talk about your skin in depth, she asks you what you would like to achieve and then she will share her recommendations. She also takes a good look at your skin as well after a cleanse.
The procedure in total takes about 45minutes. You have your face cleansed, Sandra then dons sterile gloves and commences the treatment. I had the treatment with no numbing cream. The Derma Pen 4 is uncomfortable but not painful for me, then only place I really felt a bit of pain was on my nose. Sandra clearly explains the treatment she is doing as she is going. Keeping you in the loop of all the benefits.
You get a cooling mask post treatment. Then you are sent home with a good sunscreen and recovery cream.
Dermapen Treatments are highly effective for treating hyperpigmentation. The treatment creates upto 1,920 fractional microchannels per second into the skin to promote a more balances and normalized cellular function. As melanocytes (pigment producing cells) are directly targeted, a repair and corrective process encourages an even skin tone creating a radiant appearance.
Our skin’s renewal process slows down as we age, so Dermapen Treatments are the safe, natural alternative to fight the aging process.
What’s more, Dermapen treatments naturally work from within. The natural wound-healing responses created by microneedling treatments will kick start the production of collagen and elastin production (Dermapenworld).
Pollution and lifestyle habits also take their toll on our skin.
Here are the results of my progress so far.
Results 4 months in, my pigmentation is fading, my lines under my eyes are less dominant and my skin isn’t as dry around my nose. Plus my skin tone is more even all over.
Written by Alice Bingham AKA @aliceinhealthyland
I connected with the beautiful Hannah AKA The Sleep Nurse via the Australian Birth Stories podcast. I was sharing my birth story of Lottie and Hannah was the Introduction Special Offer. I am guessing it was meant to be.
Written by Alice Bingham (Mum of 3) – @aliceinhealthyland
Photography by Emma O’ Neil AKA @two.darlings
Winter Rose (2yrs) + Lottie (4months) wearing @two.darlings
Alice wearing @spell
A few months ago I had the opportunity of trialing the Baby Bee Pram, ROVER at a Two Darling’s collaborative mini shoot. I pulled it apart, seen Emma collapse it and put it back up, we changed from bassinet to single pram and pushed it around with a toddler (single seat) and then with a newborn (bassinet). So, I thought I would take the time to write a review style blog as I have been asked numerous times by my mummy followers what I thought of it. I don’t personally own one as I already had a pram from my first born but I had a great go of it. Loved it, here is why!
What I love…
THE PRICE – I was so blown away that day after using the Rover, on how great the quality was for the price. I actually messaged the company, Babybee letting them know how amazing the quality was and that I was very impressed. For just $749 you get a #luxe 3 in 1 bassinet and stroller that is suitable for newborn to the age of 4 years. Babybee also have different payment options like afterpay too.
FIT FOR A NEWBORN – You can swap the bassinet over to a majority of Maxi Cosi Capsules (a very popular capsule here in Australia) so you can take bub straight from the car and attach to the pram and you don’t have to disturb your little one. You just have to buy the car capsule and adapters separately of course. Check out their website for compatibility with car capsules HERE. The bassinet has plenty of room for your growing newborn. My little Lottie was just shy of 14 weeks when she was in the bassinet and was very comfortable in there with plenty of room for her to move around.
FUN FOR TODDLERS – The Rover comes with a toddler seat, which my nearly two year old at the time sat very comfortably in. Can face mumma or face away, it is very easy to swap and change too. You can also get a skateboard stand attachment for older toddlers if you are expecting your second bub.
LOVE THE HEIGHT OF THE HANDLES – It was so easy to push, manuver and turn corners. The handles are a great height and are adjustable to suit your height. So smooth to push the pram as well, I walk a lot and thought it was be great for long walks.
LOTS OF SPACE IN THE BOTTOM BASKET – Because we all want lots of space for alllll the things right? I know with a little one I always have a nappy bag, snacks, water, maybe a carrier and my wallet on me. Plus I like to have a little space leftover for when I hit the shops (especially when trying to get your baby to go to sleep) haha.
COMPACT – I have a small car so this pram would be great for that. It folds up so easy and quickly so you don’t have to stand there at the car for ages fiddling, especially when someone else is waiting for your car park haha. It also can fold with the seat on too.
VEGAN LEATHER TRIM – Yes you read that right! #winning and a huge plus from me.
Yes the Babybee ROVER is exclusive to online, however that is the reason behind why the company is able to offer these top quality prams at such a fantastic price. To see a virtual demo of the pram CLICK HERE. I would definitely recommend this pram to new mummas or mums that are on the market for a new pram.
Want to see more from Babybee Prams?
Instagram – CLICK HERE
Website – CLICK HERE
It is with great honour, that I am able to blog yet another stunning, photoshoot by our now friend, Jennifer Horner. She has captured so many beautiful memories of our family over the past two years. Memories that have become photographs in our lounge room on the wall or on display in the hallway or in our children’s photo books. Ones we will treasure forever. This time round Jennifer photographed our newest addition Lottie Jean, at just 14 days.
She has such a natural way with babies and children. My children are always so drawn to her. She is professional, friendly and a whole lot of fun. She uses sensory play and safe practice to capture your little ones. When photographing newborn’s Jen always has someone working with her, someone that has trained with Jen over the years and is experienced. Jen was constantly explaining to David and I with rationale the safe practice of supporting a little one when photographing them. As Lottie’s parents, David and I felt perfectly safe with Jennifer handling our little darling.
Just like with Winter Rose’s shot, we again had a discussion of what David and I wanted to capture with Lottie on the day. She allows plenty of time for the session to shoot, in case you need to breastfeed and have a break. She also sends through an email prior to the day, so you know what to expect, what to bring and some useful tips on when to feed bub prior.
I am so in love with the neural tones, soft pinks and creams, lush greenery, palm prints (so me) and all the extra little details Jennifer had prepared for us on the day. I feel she really captured those special memories of our darling girl we will hold on to forever. A favourite flower of mine is babies breath, I had my cousin create a flower crown of babies breath for our Lottie and Jennifer continued with this theme in a series of shots with a stunning flat lay of babies breath she got from a local flower farm that day. She truly does go above and beyond.
Flower crown by Rachel – @bohemianblossomcrowns
Jennifer has offered my friends, family and Alice In Healthyland tribe members, a special one time offer to use on any booking you make with her. $100OFF. This is not something Jennifer does often, so honestly if you feel this is something you have been wanting to do for a while, just do it. You will not regret it at all, I promise.
BOOK HERE and make sure you state ALICE IN HEALTHYLAND when you book.
Okay so drum roll please…
Here are the stunning images from our Lottie girls Newborn shoot.
Want to connect with Jennifer?
So we recently welcomed a new addition to the Bingham tribe, our darling Lottie Jean. So upgrading our nappy bag size was a must for us. I have a 3 year old boy, Cruz, a 18month girl, Winter Rose and a newborn baby girl, Lottie. 2 days a week its just Lottie and myself but the other 5 days we will head out on adventures as a mini tribe. I have had a few messages from you mumma’s asking what we pack in our nappy bag. So here it is lovelies…
Firstly the nappy bag I choose was the Storksak Stevie Luxe in black scuba. I choose this bag because it was a decent size (being a mum of 3), however it is super lightweight to carry. It has lots of compartments to keep your bag organised, which we all know “sparks joy” thank you Marie Kondo for reminding us of those oh so good feels. It also keeps your essentials stored safely. There is even a cheeky cooler at the back of the bag with a hidden zip for easy access to the baby bottle. This has come in handy for me as I have had to pump EBM every three hours so I didn’t have to hunt through the bag when she got hungry. The bag comes with a cooler bag, I have used this to not only store milk but snacks too. You can even use it as a cooler bag for your lunch, once you no longer need a nappy bag. There is also a luxurious size changing mat with pocket storage, so it is easy to take out of the bag and it covers the surface area of most changing tables in the parents rooms.
So what is in the nappy bag this time round you ask…
- Nappies of course, I have a mixture of both cloth and disposable.
- Wipes, I make my own and store in a travel sealed container (see recipe here) or love Water Wipes.
- Change Mat, I love to use a reusable one to look after the environment. My nappy bag came with one ,but you can buy one from Storksak if you don’t already have one. The parents rooms can be a little gross or there might not be somewhere to change your bub, so you can just do it in the pram or on the floor with the mat.
- Hand Sanitiser, just a small one is fine. I make my own non toxic one with essential oils and aloe vera gel.
- Outfits for the baby, just one spare in case of emergency poop. For my toddler I have spare undies (because toilet training).
- Snacks for all of us and bottles for the girls (still breastfeeding to but expressing). I like to stick to easy snacks like fruit, popcorn, bliss balls, mini muffins.
- Not always, but depending on where we go I like to put a small activity or toys in the bag like colouring pencils and a pad or cars for my son.
- A muslin wrap, this can be doubled as a cover for bub or tie the two corners around the neck and its a breastfeeding cover. Great if bub falls asleep and you can cover the pram with it. I always like to keep a pram peg in the bag to, just to secure if need be.
- I currently need an organic or natural baby/nipple balm. I buy one that can do both.
- A disposable bag to store a dirty nappy. Just in case there is not a bin around.
CADDY STROLLER ORGANISER LUXE is handy if you are just heading out for a few hours. Fits a packet of wipes, 2 nappies, baby bottle, my wallet and phone.
Photographer – @wyldefolkstudio_
Hair – @c_ba_hair
Model – @aliceinhealthyland
Crown – @bohemiamblossomcrowns
Make Up @lust__minerals
I have been friends with Tahlia for a little over three years. Prior to that we may have passed each other by as we both grew up around Brisbane and went to the same gym. Our real connection started when we caught up with our little babes, Cruz and Summer. It’s been beautiful having our friendship blossom over time as well as watching our growing family create the same friendships and bonds too. You know when the universe just guides you and you just know that we were destained to be best friends (just like the movie Step Brothers when they go DID WE JUST BECOME BESTFRIENDS? moment).
Tahlia loves natural, organic and light inspired work. She does not distort her work with large amounts of editing. She believes that gentle touch ups and colour adjustments is all you need. Tahlia sets a beautiful environment for her clients and always makes sure they feel at ease with her presence. She knows how to make them laugh and sings while she photographs your children. You can see it’s her passion and she loves what she is doing.
Tahlia has photographed so many memories for our family and for my business and blog @aliceinhealthyland. So I was so grateful to have her shoot this special moment in my pregnancy and capture the bump with our two little babes. Cruz was scared of the flowers in the bath haha #mumlife but we managed to capture some cute snaps with him and the bump.
Tahlia is offering my following a special discount. State my name ALICE and you will get $50off your booking of a Maternity, Newborn or Family Photoshoot. Thanks so much beautiful! Such a lovely gesture.
A special thank you to the girls CBA Hair for styling my hair, Bohemian Blossom Crowns for making Winter Rose and I’s flower crowns and to Lust Minerals for supplying the make up. Necklace is by Eden Zoe and has my little ones initials on.
The lace garments are just from Kmart or EBay.